A Brit in Britain

I am back in the UK for a ten day trip to visit my family. Getting here was an involved process of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles; albeit without John Candy and constant problems. It started as I left home at 4am, driving to BART station at Martinez. It was a straightforward journey to San Francisco Airport, which took about ninety minutes. A quick trip on the tram to the United terminal. The trip through security was quick and without incident.

I was traveling light, with no checked luggage. However, at the gate, I was asked to check my bag as the flight was full, I was in the last boarding group, and there was no space remaining in the overhead bins. I was assured that the bag would be checked through to London. The initial leg to Chicago was on time, and I supported local business by using my iPad to watch a movie made by a local lad; Empire Strikes Back.

Arriving at Chicago, I found the gate for the next leg, which was close. I grabbed a small pizza, then waited for my flight. I had a window seat, so boarded first, or at least first of those who do not fall into any of the assorted early boarding categories. I ate supper, read, and slept. This flight arrived in Heathrow early. There was a long line at immigration, but as a result my bag was on the carousel when got there.

Next leg was Heathrow Express, a quick 15 minute trip to Paddington. There was a slight complication, I had purchased the ticket online the day before and not received the email ticket. Fortunately, I had printed the web page with confirmation number and that was accepted.

Then it was tube to Euston Square, a short walk to Euston and pick up of the return ticket from a machine. One return ticket resulted in seven pieces of card. There is something odd about the whole rail trip, as my return leg is first class in order to save money. The standard class one was more expensive.

At Carlisle, I was met by the woman from Hertz who drove me to collect my car. I drove back to the railway station and waited for my brother. He arrived on time and we went on the last hour of the trip. I arrived twenty six and a half hours after leaving home.

Published in: on 12 September, 2011 at 2:34  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://britinla.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/a-brit-in-britain/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: